Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Laissez Les Bon Temps Rollez Part two


Happy Tuesday!!

I'm actually writing this on Sunday night from the airplane.
I'm so artsy with that reflection, no?  Just Kidding


I'm shocking myself by writing this so early!  Maybe it's a sign of a productive week ahead? 

Today is Day 2 of my Back To Reality Tour. The agenda today includes 11 miles of running (gotta catch up from my missed long run on Sunday), working in my classroom from 9-12, then tutoring then lifting some heavy things and putting them back down. Finally I get to cap my night off with some Pilates and Barre. 

I'm also going to nightcap with Real Housewives of NYC's Reunion.  Should be a good one. I'm also trying to catch up on my DVR from this weekend. Don't tell me what happened on Manzo'd Worh Children and/or Don't Be Tardy or DCC. 

Last nights dinner was a home run if I may say so myself. I made turkey and quinoa stuffed peppers and they were oh so tasty. Thank you Crock Pot!

Here's the recipe if you want to give it a go. P.S. This is a great one to help you create a covert ops style invasion of healthy foods if you live with unhealthy eaters. 





Back to NOLA. 

Saturday was started at 5:30 with a 6 mile run. It was 79 degrees out with 86% humidity. That's hot y'all!  I guess it's good prep for my upcoming Disney Wine and Dine half?  Hopefully it will be cooler in November...

After running we came back and got ready for our brunch. I thought the Philly/Jersey area had brunch on lock, but we have nothing on Nola. They even have a Jazz Brunch!  We haven't tried that...maybe next year. 

Brunch was at Lüke, a Jim Besh restaurant which featured a giant menu of delicious options. 

Inside Lüke. I was drooling over the floors.


Pate oh yay!
Zach ordered some pate for the tablet he board came with pickled watermelon (delish), jalepaño jelly (amazing), relish, and pickles. Two types of spicy mustard rounded out the board. I smacked on some crusty bread with jalepaño jelly, mustards, and pickled watermelon. I died and went to foodgasm heaven. I tried some pate, but I'm not really a fan.

Brunch mocktail of cranberry and pineapple juices.


My salad and fruit cup. Look at those shrimpies.

I caved to the mimosa!  I regret nothing.


Dessert at brunch? I think so!


It was a delightful meringue cookie with a lemony topping underneath raspberry sorbet!  All of this laid on top of a bed of fresh fruit with a berry sauce. 

Brunch buddies!


Post brunch we ended up picking up Zach's sister for a trip to Mardi Gras World. MGW was having a half way to Carnival Celebration and admission was free, parking was only $5, free SNOCONES, and free tours of the magical land that creates Mardi Gras!  It seriously is like Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory but full of Mardi Gras floats, sculptures, and art. It's insanely cool!

We ended up taking the tour which featured a quick video on the history of Mardi Gras and how it is celebrated in New Orleans.

After the video we got a slice of King's Cake!  I've had King's Cake before when I was in high school. I was in French Club and we always ordered one for our Mardi Gras Celebration!

Delish!  It tastes like a Danish.

Hey Marilyn!




The props are all left here to be revitalized, displayed, or recycled every year.

It's Breesus y'all!


Satchmo himself!  
Hey, George…sup?
We're off to see the Wizard, the wonderful Wizard of OZ!



All hail the queen


The workshop
View of the Mississippi from MGW
We have Aladdin, Belle, and Abe…what a crew!  

Crews are the name for the different groups that perform and parade on Mardi Gras.  Every crew is responsible for their own design, but then the people at Mardi Gras World create, sculpt, and paint the floats.


Some of the supplies

We took a tour of MGW and learned that they use plexiglass, styrofoam, and papier mache to create the props and floats.

Our tour guide who literally couldn't even.  
She was in the mood for nothing!  She wasn't very interesting or exciting, but she knew a lot.


After the tour we got FREEEEEEE SNOCONES!  

ice cream flavor--AMAZING!
My lactose intolerant self was ecstatic to have some ice cream goodness in my life sans allergic reaction!  It tasted like ice cream/birthday cake mix!  Face was rocked.

Maybe a new addition to my classroom's bookshelf?
Kind of a spin on The Gingerbread Man…maybe I will work this into my multicultural fairy tale unit?



On the way home we passed by a cute and colorful house!  I love all of the interesting architecture and colors that are used in the city.  It truly brings out a unique quality that is indigenous to the city. 

Yellow and blue house and peach and blue house!

Everything looks like a Barbie Dream House and I couldn't be more excited about it.



After MGW, we went back home to change for dinner.  Dinner was at Superior Seafood and it was fantastic!  There is not a shortage of delicious food here in New Orleans.

Raw oyster smothered in cocktail sauce…yummmmmm

I stole that oyster from Zach.

Grilled drum with asparagus
This was the first time I've ever had drum and I'm a fan.  I actually googled what the heck drum was and it turns out it's a white fish that has a little more thickness than tilapia.  In short, I have a new fave fish.


After dinner, we went to Angelo Brocato for dessert.  It's a cute Italian dessert house that has been around for over 100 years.  After the mouthwatering desserts, I can see why it's a beloved New Orleans hot spot.  

Amazing
There is actually a full time cop that stands in front of the bakery/gelato heaven to keep the line in check.  Now that's a dessert place I can get behind.  



20 minutes later we were inside the bakery and here's a pic of the damage done.


YUM
Zach got the chocolate cannoli and spumoni, and I got the pecan and chocolate chip cookie.  Choosing a dessert may have been one of the hardest things I have ever had to do.  

I sampled Zach's desserts and they were insanely tasty!

After dessert, Zach, his sister, his friend, and I went to a drag show.  It was so much fun.  I have been to college drag shows at TCNJ and they're always fun!  Who doesn't love costumes, big hair, big makeup, and lip syncing to the biggest party jams of all time?

Token Dolly Diva!
I sang along to the Dolly drag queen.  She sang 9-5 and my heart was so excited.




Whitney!  

Obviously, I jammed to Whit Whit, too.  Jersey Girls gotta represent!

It was a great night and we all danced and had so much fun!  

I hope you all have a great day!

XOXO,

E



No comments:

Post a Comment