Sunday, June 7, 2015

Super Run Philadelphia

Happy Oxymoron Day!

*Because we all know there's no such thing as a happy Monday*

This past weekend I had my first race of the season.  I have a Fourth of July 5k and my half in Disney in 5 short months.  I figured today I'd tell you a leeetle bit about my 5k.

I like 5k's because they're a little more fun and less serious.  No one (except yours truly) really keeps track of their time.  People usually run for fun and a lot of people walk them.

Not me.  I'm way to Type-A for that nonsense.

source

Some of us take everything a little too seriously…

Trying on the cape by the pool.
Elle Woods is a super hero, right?

I really wanted to PR this race.  My last 5k I ran it around 27 minutes.  It was 2 weeks after my half and  I had a pulled IT band.  

Pre-Race Game Face


Look at all the superheroes

All the superheroes took over Philly <3

The race was at the Navy Yard in Philly and it was a really cool course.  We ran through all of the Navy buildings and it kinda reminded me of a scene out of a superhero fight scene.  The race was very well organized and there were a few vendors there complete with bananas and water.  
There were probably about 500 runners?  Maybe 400?




This race was pretty low key.  There were a lot of kids and families running.  

They had a superhero step and repeat
I went as Wonder Woman!  And by went I mean, I wore shorts, sneaks, and a tank.  I was clearly underdressed.  Some people came in full on costumes.  I just couldn't run in a costume.  Or my cape…I had to ditch the pink cape no matter how cute it was :)


More superheroes running


The race was super fun!  

I ended up placing 8th overall and ran it in 24 mins flat.  If it was about 10 meters more, I would have thrown up.  I was running so fast.  I wanted to do well on this race and I'm really proud of myself.  I get super competitive and once I saw the finish line I turned up the speed and passed 4 people to get ahead.  I felt like I was running on empty.  

Shuper Schweaty Selfie



                 

On that post-race delirious running high.

Would I do this one again?  Maayyyybe.  I might try to branch out and try a different race next year.  I like half marathons because I like the distance and I'm not really a speed runner.

I liked the medal though…

Also, thanks to Daddy for driving me and cheering me on.

Races are fun because they're like a dance recital.  You practice for so long and then the adrenaline starts pumping and you just go.  I always think running is my therapy and yesterday was a great therapy session.

source

source
Does anyone else feel this way?  Running has gotten me through so many things and for that I'm forever grateful.  

Tonight I have a date with the foam roller.  This morning I went on a training run and I used my iPod to find 9 miles and guess what…it ended up being 10.37 miles.  I was feeling like this was shaping up to be a much harder run than I thought and then I got home and mapped it and was like yup…too long.



I hope you all have a great night!  Enjoy The Bachelorette tonight!  I know I will :)  Some friends and I are doing Zumba, Whole Foods Hot Bar, and The Bachelorette.  Can't wait!

XOXO,

E


1 comment:

  1. The food was always great, I think they just updated their menu and it's off the hook. Who would expect delicious pizza at such big events. Not me, but you can get some of the best pizza there. The best LA venues in the area.

    ReplyDelete