Thursday, August 15, 2013

New Orleans 2013!!


“America has only three cities: New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans. 
Everywhere else is Cleveland.”- Tennessee Williams

Laissez les bon temps roulez!

This is the trip I look forward to all year!  The food, the people, the culture, the drinks, the music!  I love it all!  Every year I visit one of my best best friends from high school who goes to school down in NOLA.  (LUCKY!)  Last year I went to NOLA and it was fabulous!  This year I knew I had to go back.  This year I was more prepared for the heat, Bourbon, everything!  We actually lucked out and had a great 3 days.  Not too hot at all.  So here's what we did:

Monday:  

Riding the Street Car Down St. Charles!

Arrived in NOLA at 11:30 and we quickly went to Squeal.  Squeal is a fabulous BBQ place with traditional southern BBQ.  Living in NJ we have BBQ but it's nothing like this!  Squeal has a smoker right out front!  You're not in Jersey anymore!  The food was dalish!  I had smoked chicken with traditional BBQ sauce, corn maque choux, and potato salad.  We got jalapeño hush puppies which were a FABULOUS idea!  They are served with honey butter and not too hot.  I like hot food but I like to be able to enjoy my food and not be overwhelmed by the spiciness.  This was the perfect amount of spicy and sweet!  I definitely recommend this place!

Next we went to Bourbon Street for some Pat O'Brien's hurricanes.  We arrived via Street Car.  The best mode of transportation ever.  Jersey public transit is full of crazy, dirty, gross, cursing, angry people.  Not in NOLA!  Everyone takes the street car because it's convenient and cheap.  Yes this place is a tourist trap but it does have some yummy drinks!  There is a beautiful outdoor patio where you can sit, drink, and eat free popcorn!  Can't get better, right?  My hurricane was fantastic...I could only drink half because it was sooooo big!

Next we walked around the French Quarter.  We looked at Tennessee Williams' house, William Faulkner's house, St. Louis Cathedral, Jackson Square, walked by the Mississippi River and looked for haunted houses.  

For dinner we went to Channing Tatum's bar Saints and Sinners (swoon).  Usually celebrity restaurants are goofy, over the top, kitschy, the food is mehh, everything is overpriced, the list goes on and on.  But Saints  & Sinners was totally different.  It was very beautiful inside.  It was boudoir themed and all the drinks had cutesy sexy names.  The walls had pictures of Channing as a gangster and cameo profiles of women with themed hair.  It was fantastic!  The food was delicious!  I had crab cakes on top of a crisped baguette with special sauce on it!  Fantastic!  It wasn't overpriced at all.  The drinks were a little pricey but it's vacation so splurge right?!  I had a drink called Silk Panties.  It was fruity and just fabulous!

Saints & Sinners

My crab cakes & Zach's burger

Next we walked down to Cafe du Monde for traditional beignets.  We each ate a whole order (3) no guilt!  We met Zach's friends here for our delicious treats!

Cafe Du Monde's famous beignets!

Tuesday:

Since this was my only full day in NOLA we wanted to make the most of it.

Zach tolerating me being a total tourist and driving the street car!


Zach created a monster and introduced me to Crepes a la Carte!  TO DIE!!!  I had a sweet crepe with Nutella, caramel apples, and strawberries.  I died!  Died and went to chocolate lover's heaven!  Did I care that I had chocolate running down my face and hands?  No!

WW2 Museum!  The types of planes that flew on the air strike in Normandy!

France's gift to USA for being kick ass in WWII!  It's a replica of the Liberty Bell!  Love when Philly things pop up in unexpected places!

Next we rode the street car to the WW2 museum.  Since I'm a huge history nerd this was right up my alley!  We walked all around and watched a long movie about the D-Day Invasion.  On our way from the street car we got caught in a huge traditional NOLA down pour.  It usually rains everyday in NOLA, the length of the storm and severity vary, and I should have been smarter and brought my new umbrella I bought specifically for this occasion, but alas I left it at home.  

Next we walked (we walk all the time.  Last year we walked 20 miles in one day!  This time it was about 10 miles a day) to Stanley's in Jackson Square and had Po' Boys!  This place is known for their Po' Boys and desserts including homemade ice cream and sodas!  I did not participate in the ice cream eating because I'm allergic...wahhh.  I had a fried shrimp Po' Boy and I can't say enough nice things about this place.  The waiters were all beyond great and attentive and the food was the best!  Highly recommended!

Next, we went to a Haunted History Tour.  We went on the Ghost Tour!  Last year we went on the Cemetery Tour.  This year we went on the Ghost Tour.  I liked this one better.  Maybe because the weather was better, but I like ghosts best.  I like this tour group because they teach you a little bit of history and literature as you go.  We saw The LaLaurie house, the Jackson hotel, and Mr. B's bar.  It was a great tour!  Our tour guide was fantastic and funny and goofy and just the best best best!

LaLaurie mansion!


Next we went back to Zach's and picked up some of his housemates to celebrate a birthday at Sucre! Sucre is on Magazine St. and has delicious (overpriced) desserts.  I had a brownie with chocolate sauce and nuts. Great place for a birthday dessert party!  
inside of Sucre!  So cute!

Next we went home and played Mille Bornes (1000 miles)!  It took me a while for me to get the hang of it but I got it!  

Wednesday:

We had an early lunch at Stein's Deli on Magazine.  We went here last year on my last day, too.  I got turkey and cheese with lettuce and tomato.  It was really good!  I pulled a blonde and didn't realize there was free water and bought sparkling water.  Womp Womp Womp.  

It was raining so we went back home and just hung out.  Next, I NEEDED a crepe before we went to the airport.  I got a Nutella & apple/strawberry crepe again because I loved it!  

Next it was off to the airport!  I always am sad when I leave because I lerve NOLA and hanging out with Zach.  But there is always next year!  

See ya next year NOLA!!

xoxo,

Erin

Pretty pic of a street car!



Live Jazz Musicians...just because


St. Louis Cathedral!


No comments:

Post a Comment