Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Why Is Everyone Younger Than Me?

Happy Hump Day!

So yesterday was interesting.  It's always interesting when you go back to your alma mater for a visit...on a Tuesday...that isn't homecoming.

I spent 5 years at TCNJ and LOVED my time there.  I learned a lot, made great friends, and it definitely helped me find my job.  I loved undergrad and grad school at TCNJ and highly recommend it.  If after reading this post you decide to go there, tell them I sent you and maybe they'll give me a little kick back for me loan?  No?  That's not how it works?

Since I'm on spring break, Jaclyn and I decided to meet up for a mid week lunch.  We decided to grab lunch at our usual post-class spot, Panera.  Isn't that every college kids favorite place?  Hello, carby goodness.

Jaclyn and I used to go after Wednesday night class.  Every.  Week.   Broc Cheddar Soup+Bread Bowl+Bread+Cookie+Soda.  It was amazing. We regret nothing.  I only miss my 20 year old metabolism.

Since I graduated form TCNJ, they have build a College Town.  There are basically 4 restaurants and a bunch of college apartment buildings.  Oh, and a Barnes and Noble.  I'm kind of surprised that this Town came to fruition.  Since I went on my first TCNJ College Tour 10 years ago (insert OMG I'm OLD mini-panic attack here), they've been talking about getting a Town.  Honestly, we need it.  There's not a lot going on around Ewing, NJ.  This will definitely help attract more students.  The Town is beautiful.  Anyway, they have a drive through Panera.  DRIVE THRU!  Jaclyn and I would have been so broke if this was in existence while we were there.

When I walked into Panera, it was like walking into a high school.  Everyone was young!  It was literally run by children.  I graduated 2 years ago and it never really sunk in until now.  All of the kids looked like kids.  I have a firm belief that when you are in your twenties and thirties, no one knows how old anyone else is.  Think about it.  You compare everyone else to you and your age by looks.  You just do a comparison based on looks.  I never know how old anyone else is.  Well, I KNEW everyone here was younger than me.  It was weird.  It was like finally realizing that you are no longer welcome at the children's table and you have to join the dull adult table full of mortgage talk and other boring topics.

After the culture shock of realizing we were surrounded by youths.  Youths everywhere.  We faced a new culture shock.  This Panera brings your food!  They deliver it to your table.  WHHHAAATTT?  It was so weird to sit and wait for your food.  Plus, it kinda took a long time because the restaurant was super crowded so the servers had to wander in and around a sea of backpacks, laptop cords, and jackets.

We chatted and caught up for a few hours.  It was great to see Jaclyn again.  We haven't seen each other in months and we jumped right in where we left off.

Reunited Partners In Crime <3
Also, Dylan's friend did in fact take this picture of us old ladies alums.


The weird factor of youngsters running the world only escalated when I saw one of Dylan's friends lunching at Panera.  We both looked at each other like What are you doing here?  It took me a second to realize that I was in fact the one who was peculiarly sitting at Panera on a Tuesday afternoon.  Why?  Because I'm an old person.  I'm a grown up.  I'm not in college anymore.

It's a weird feeling being older than everyone else in the room.  Yes, I'm even older than Jaclyn if you were wondering. 

The rest of the day was spent trying to wrap my head around being 25.  

I started the day off with a 9 mile run to make up for Sundays No Runday.  

After lunch I came home and got ready for a weight sesh, Pilates, and Barre.  

Dinner was roasted turkey with butternut squash and spinach.  Does anyone else think of the Friends episode where Joey tells the unfunny story about Ross saying Nutterbut Squash?  No?  Just me?  Okay, moving on.  

The familia and I then watched The Big Short.   It was really good!  It's more of a thinking movie.  You have to pay attention to the whole thing or you will miss it.  It's good if you have a lot of time and stay off your phone or lap top.  Steve Carrel is awesome and a total 180 from his Michael Scott persona.  Talented guy.  Also, one of the actors looks like Cole Hamels.  Makes my Phillies loving heart happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment