Monday, October 8, 2018

5 Things I've Learned in 5 Years

Happy Back To School!!

It's crazy to me to think that this is my 5th year...FIFTH YEAR...of teaching!  Over the 5 years I've laughed a lot, learned wayyyy more than I thought I ever would, and walked with my tail between my legs.  I truly believe that I have the world's greatest job. Every day I get to walk into a room where kids are excited to see me (well...maybe not every day :) ) and get to teach little minds that have shaped and changed mine forever.  I am so grateful for them and excited for what they will do in the classroom and beyond. I used to think it was cheesy when teachers would run into me in Target, Wegmans, or more likely ice cream shops, and eagerly ask me what I was doing.  I would think, "Oh they have to ask me about my life, what I'm doing, and where I am." But now? I ask my students the same questions with just as much eagerness and excitement. I think about my past students every day and pray that they are finding their way and enjoying the ride.


Ok, sappy post aside, here are the 5 things I've learned in 5 years.  Obviously, I've learned more, but these are my top 5 things that I have learned.


Spend September teaching routines.  In my first two years I didn't do this.  It was a mess and I spent the greater part of my opening and hook reminding the kiddos to do xyz before I could even start the lesson.  Teach the kids how to get in a line, if they don't do it to the standard that you're expecting, have them start it over. If they run to your room, walk them back and have them try again.  There is no greater compliment than hearing a fellow teacher tell you that your students walked down the hallway when you weren't even there to lead them. #winning If you have a folder procedure in the morning, make sure they follow it.  Don't pick up a folder from a table or desk because that is not your job.


Teach centers

As an immediate follow up, spend September and October teaching independent centers.  This will save your life. Make sure the kids have full access (do not put these in a closet...make them obvious and at a height and weight that your kids can carry) to the goods.  I put mine on Math Island and have the necessities like snap cubes in labeled baggies ready to go. Make sure if they need markers/crayons, scissors, glue that it is out and about. Teach these centers and play them daily until the know them like they know the levels of Fortnight. Centers are great for a fly by observation.  Think about it: how cool and talented will you look when you effortlessly (while sweating through your shirt) say Little Bobby, Joey, Allie, and Sally you are going to the Number Cubes Center. Jimmy, Timmy, Lenny, and Penny, you are going to the Apple Counting Center. You're going to look like a Rock STARRRR because you spent the time to teach these basic centers.


Journals

In my not so humble opinion, I think getting to know your students and letting them know that you care and are invested in their life is the number one thing that you can do as a teacher!  In order to get to know my students, I have my students journal daily. They journal to questions that I make up. This is also our transition from reading to writing. The kids come back from their bathroom break and then journal to a question that lets me get to know them better.  Sometimes they are as easy as What Is Your Favorite Color?  Or How Many Siblings Do You Have?  Sometimes we go a little deeper like, What Does Freedom Mean To You?  during Constitution Day.  Every day I write back to the kids.  Yes, I have 12 students now so it does take me about 30 minutes a day to answer them, but that is honestly some of the best time I spend every day.  I can not only track their writing growth (punctuation, spelling, organization) but I get to know them well. I can proudly tell you a list of dog breeds, names, and ages for my entire student roster.  I can also figure out what motivates them: tv shows, movies, characters, etc. I can also tell what we still need to work on.


It's ok to cry in your room.  Like Kim K Ugly Cry. Teaching is an emotional job and I think the best teachers never lose sight of the fact that these are little humans in your room.  You take them with you when you leave at the end of the day. You think about them when you're at home. When you see their favorite candy (i.e. see above) you instantly think of them.  


You don't have to hit a grand slam to impact the game.  You only have to get on base. Sometimes a sacrifice fly will do.  Now this is by no means saying that you should phone it in. This is not an excuse to suck at your job.  No, this means that some days you will hit Babe Ruth Legendary home run lessons...and some days you won't.  I spent my first year in a constant stress ball because I thought that if I taught one lesson on punctuation that my 2nd grade resource room students would instantly know it and remember it forever.  This is not always the case...actually this is rarely the case. Sometimes you have to start small, little bunt, little hit, sac fly, to start the process. You need to get on base and know that even the best teachers don't have Pinterest worthy lessons every day.  You need to forgive yourself for having a worksheet every now and then. You don't need to stay up until 1 am (cough cough me) laminating everything just to make that Pinterest worthy lesson every day. Go to sleep...and print it on card stock :)

I hope everyone is having a great start to the school year!

xoxo,

e

No comments:

Post a Comment