Monday, October 21, 2013

Zumba: My Kinda Tough Love

     Today I'm blogging because it involves my favorite activity at this moment:  sitting.  My legs are on Fiyah!! Today was one of those days where you just go, "Erin, you're a smart girl.  You're an active girl.  Why, dear God why, would you select today to be Leg Day when it's already Zumba Day?  Oh that's right, you needed a good booty kicking."  Exercise is that swift kick in the booty that I need every day.  Ever since I was turned on to Zumba almost 2 months ago, (by my dear friend Stef) I was hooked.  I was not talented at Zumba when I first started.  I am getting better now, (thanks to hours of watching merengue on Youtube :)) but it still kicks my booty!  I have never worked harder, sweated more, or loved working out more in my life!

     Exercise is something I need in my everyday life.  Even if I'm super duper buzzzy I still make time to at least put a song on and dance for 3-3:30 minutes.  I just need it!  I don't feel good if I haven't exercised every day.  Some days I don't feel like it at all (those are the days I whip out the Big Guns...Destiny's Child's Bootylicious I'm talking to you) but I just try it and usually I get into my groove.  Today's Zumba was no different.  Stef asked if I wanted to go early and stretch out before class.  I love a good stretch sesh so I agreed.  Well, when we got to the gym we decided we would do some leg work before class.  Well I whipped out a full set of lunges with a medicine ball, squats on an half balance ball, and sumo squats.  Not smart.  Then, we went to Zumba.  Zumba kicks my booty!  I love the group fitness atmosphere because I like the competition.  I'm a very competitive person and I like to compete against myself.  (Probably why I love dance so much) I just dance my little heart out and then die.  After the second song (including the warm up...womp womp womp) I looked over to Stef and mouthed, "We're idiots!"  Doing legs before Zumba is not smart kids.  Buuuuuuut, it was the kick in the booty I needed to get myself out of my Monday Drearies.  I read on one of my favorite blogger's sites that the first 2 miles are always the hardest and after you run them you know that you can run forever.  That was exactly what I needed.  When I go to Zumba (or any workout really) I just let everything go.  This is hard for me because I am a person who is always in her head.  It's not easy to stop thinking, but Zumba just lets me breathe.  Ironic because I never get a chance to catch my breath while I'm Zumbaing.  Sometimes we all just need that swift kick in the booty to center you.  I'm thankful for Zumba and I know I will NOT be thankful for the inevitable leg throbbing I will experience tomorrow.

I will leave you with this quote by Voltaire because I think it encompasses all that is good in my two favorite hobbies.

“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”


Until next time (which may be soon because I may not be able to walk...),

Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment